Southern Star chief executive Hugh Marks says his company is “working hard to come up with something new for TEN in the slot Big Brother used to fill.”
In 2009 TEN will need to find at least one new ‘tentpole’ programme for Sunday evenings and 7pm weeknights. It faces a mid year void in between The Biggest Loser and Australian Idol.
His comments come amid concerns that Southern Star’s revenue are expected to drop by around 20% following the axing of Big Brother. Despite speculation Nine might have been interested in the franchise, no clear buyer has emerged for the show.
Meanwhile FremantleMedia is understood to have sought clearance from the competition regulator for buying Southern Star, a division of Fairfax Media. The BBC and WIN Television are also believed to be interested, according to the Australian Financial Review.
Marks said yesterday that FremantleMedia was one of ‘several interested parties conducting due diligence…but there is no favoured buyer.’
Earlier this year FremantleMedia bid $8.3m for a stake in Beyond.