Don Burke is returning to Channel Nine.
The gardening guru will be a regular Friday feature on A Current Affair from tonight.
After his last seasonal special aired in March 2008 Burke has been off-screen, but always professed an interest in returning to television, telling TV Tonight last year “the welcome mat is out and the door is open for discussion.”
Since that time the Burke’s Backyard brand has been kept alive via his magazine.
“About 70 per cent of the emails and letters we get five years after the cancelling of Burke’s Backyard are still saying, ‘come back, come back,'” he told news.com.au
“In the end Nine basically came back to me and said, ‘we are crazy if we don’t listen to these people, they are angry, or they just want you back, or whatever, come back.'”
Burke says David Gyngell has always been very keen to have him back on the station “in some way, shape or form.”
With the continual success of Better Homes and Gardens for Seven, Nine could do well to look at the viability of a regular, expanded format.