Channel TEN has dropped its Monday night “verdict” edition of Australian Idol.
Instead audition and eliminations will now take place on Sundays in a two hour format.
The move should help drive viewers to the one product, and avoid TEN under-performing in the Monday timeslot when many fans became frustrated with a 60 (and sometimes 70) minute show essentially built around five minutes of relevant drama.
“I think all of us realised that it was a bit of a struggle for an hour. All you can do is try to improve,” Dicko told the Sunday Herald Sun.
Last year he conceded, “Idol’s Monday night was always a bit of a naff for the audience because it was really just 15 minutes of content rolled out over an hour, but we’ve recognised that and strengthened it.”
Guess they didn’t strengthen it enough….
The change could also see Idol pull in more phone-line revenue, if lines stay open longer. But it will be tough on contestants if they are left to rehearse a number only to be booted at the top of a show.
Still, Dancing with the Stars does the same trick but booting at the end of the show.
Meanwhile former host James Mathison today said he quit the show to try new challenges, adding that he never expected the gig to last so long.
“I just felt like I needed a break from it. It’s not that I don’t like TV, but if you do anything for six years you’re, like, what other challenges are there?”
As for the audition tour currently underway, while Dicko told one newspaper numbers were down, Brissy’s Sunday Mail reckons they are up.