SBS has announced its six celebrity subjects who will trace their family tree in the second series of Who Do You Think You Are?
Featured in the series are Ron Barassi, Sigrid Thornton, Ben Mendelsohn, Maggie Beer, Christine Anu and John Butler.
The first Australian series was an excellent achievement, so here’s hoping it can showcase genealogy in its unique ‘detective-style’ once more.
SBS Director of Television and Online Content, Matt Campbell, said, “Our six celebrities let us in on their lives as they research their ancestors. Quite simply, it’s fascinating, extremely personal and engaging TV. It’s bound to make people interested in their own histories because of the compelling tales that emerge from our personalities’ family trees.”
Series two episodes:
• Tough, straight-talking footy legend Ron Barassi embarks on a journey into his ancestry and discovers a heart-rending tale of violence, tragedy and redemption.
• Film and TV actress Sigrid Thornton plays detective, uncovering an epic tale of dark deeds and the life of an ancestor that was stranger than fiction.
• Film and TV actor Ben Mendelsohn sets out to find if he really is related to the famous composer Felix Mendelssohn.
• Celebrity cook Maggie Beer discovers a larger than life convict bigamist, with a penchant for telling very tall tales.
• Singer Christine Anu takes a deeply emotional journey through her family’s past, revealing a rich and surprising history.
• Rock star and activist John Butler is searching for his heritage, hoping to find poets, musicians and revolutionaries.
Meanwhile the US is also adapting its own version under Lisa Kudrow’s production company. Nine will have the rights to this series.
The Aussie version returns 7:30pm Sunday September 27th on SBS ONE.