November 22 for 72?
David Leckie is understood to have given OzTAM of 8 weeks notice in the readiness to launch Seven's new digital channel.
That’s the date being tipped for Seven’s new digital channel after CEO David Leckie gave OzTAM formal notice of the launch last week.
Leckie reportedly sent a letter to OzTAM giving eight weeks’ notice of the launch on November 22 so that ratings would be available for the channel’s first broadcasts. GO! missed out breakout ratings in its first weeks because it failed to provide ample notice of the new channel.
While the signal would be located on channel 72, sources said it would not necessarily be called 72.
Seven’s corporate affairs spokesperson Simon Francis, said yesterday the network still intended to announce its plans for multi-channelling “soon.”
“While we can understand the speculation, we’ll maintain a polite silence until we choose to release our plans,” he said.
Sources said several media buyers had been briefed informally about a general entertainment channel that would feature programs previously shown on Seven, such as Ugly Betty and 24, as well as blocks of younger-skewed programming provided by Disney.
Official demographic details of the channel have not been revealed, but it is expected to program against the other free-to-air channels in a bid to split audiences for their popular shows, with some specualtion it could target a similar audience to GO!
Previous industry rumours have swirled about everything from lifestyle to movies and general entertainment.
Seven is also understood to have registered several names including PLUS7 and 7PLUS, amongst others.
Launching on November 22nd would give Seven just one week of extra audience in the official ratings year, which ends on November 28th.
Source: The Australian