Dick Smith has defended his role in part-funding an ABC documentary, Dick Smith’s Population Puzzle, which looks at the ramifications of an exploding Australian population in the future.
The documentary produced by independent production company Real Pictures will air at 8:30pm on Thursday night followed by a Q & A special discussing the points raised.
Dick Smith contributed up to 10 per cent of the estimated $500,000 budget and gave his time to the production free of charge. He also appears in the documentary.
“What could happen if we go to 45 million or indeed 100 million?” he asks in the preview.
“It’s obvious that there’s no plan.”
But Friends of the ABC said his co-funding of the documentary gives the perception that people can fund programs to get their views on to the ABC.
”I think the ABC has been very brave and very responsible in purchasing this documentary because no commercial channel would,” Smith told The Age.
ABC Director of Television Kim Dalton is reported to have supported the documentary from its pitch last year provided other points of view were represented.
Source: The Age