Matty Johns Show in programming limbo
Seven wants to bump Matty Johns to a later slot, but his team is refusing to budge.
The Matty Johns Show is hanging in the balance after Johns and his team rejected a proposal from Seven to air the show in a 10:30pm Thursday timeslot this year.
The Daily Telegraph reports both sides have failed to arrive at an outcome for the NRL show’s future this year.
Business partner John Singleton has been a co-producer of the venture with Johns. Together with manager Glenn Wheatley they have a 2 year contract which stipulates the show must air between 7 and 10pm.
“They’re talking to Seven at the moment. Singo said to me to stay out of it,” said Johns.
“Whatever happens, I’ll be guided by Singo’s advice.”
While ratings for the show held for 2010 Seven has been keen to explore other programming options, compounded by the loss of The Bounce in AFL markets.
Last year Seven CEO David Leckie was singing the praises of recruiting Johns to the network, But if an outcome cannot be reached he may yet sit out the year on a full salary.
Hints that Seven wanted to move the show emerged in December.
Seven Programmer Tim Worner recently told TV Tonight the show’s budget precluded it from airing on 7mate.
He also would not rule an AFL style show in or out.
Last week Seven launched a new Thursday night line up including Grey’s Anatomy, Desperate Housewives and Private Practice.
Source: Daily Telegraph