Former Reality contestant pleads guilty to attempted murder

Former Reality TV contestant Joel Betts, who appeared in Australian Survivor, has has admitted he tried to murder his ex-girlfriend during a frenzied attack after they broke up three years ago.

Betts, 32, pleaded guilty to wounding Samantha Holland with intent to murder, and to aggravated detain for advantage.

Ms Holland was repeatedly stabbed on April 17, 2010, at a Chippendale unit the two shared.

Betts also hosted The Joel Betts Show for Foxtel in which he interviewed celebrities such as Cate Blanchett and Russell Crowe.

According to police facts tendered at his committal hearing last year, Ms Holland moved out of the unit because the relationship had broken down.

Police documents said he wanted to rekindle his relationship with Holland, then 24.

Police said Betts stabbed Ms Holland with a small knife, changing to a larger one when the tip of the first weapon broke off in her back. She persuaded him to relinquish the knife by saying if he wanted them to die together ”in the Romeo and Juliet love scenario that he had in mind … he should give the knife to me”. Seeking a chance to escape, she stabbed him in the stomach, police said.

He is on remand in custody and will be sentenced on April 27.

Source: smh.com.au, Daily Telegraph

Comments are closed.