Where’s George Negus? Where’s Mike Munro?
When George Negus & Mike Munro finished with high-profile shows, TEN & Seven said they would keep them on. But where are they?
They are both news journos who have been around for decades and recently hailed as major weapons in the battle of news and current affairs.
But these days you’d be hard pressed to spot George Negus on TEN or Mike Munro on Seven. Both remain with their respective networks despite departing high profile shows, but where?
Last year George Negus led TEN’s charge in its early evening News and Current Affairs assault. Negus had proven popular on the then-titled 7PM Project. He even quit Dateline and SBS to front 6pm with George Negus, which later became 6:30 with George Negus. Despite attracting praise for offering serious content, the show failed to attract a big enough audience while management changed tack on the revamped approach for News.
But when TEN axed his show, it said Negus would be returning to The Project. This year he has barely been seen, most notably absent following the infamous storm that enveloped The Circle after comments about Corp. Ben Roberts-Smith.
Negus is not regularly utilised by The Project, TEN News, TEN Late News, Breakfast or Meet the Press with his last appearances around late February.
A TEN spokesperson told TV Tonight, “George Negus is still under contract with Network TEN. He made appearances on The Circle and The Project earlier this year.”
Mike Munro came out of ‘retirement’ to co-host Sunday Night in 2009 with Chris Bath on Seven. But by April 2011, and after rumours of friction with his co-host (denied by all parties), he stepped aside to file stories on the road -cited as his preference to being studio-bound.
By late last year he was no longer on the road for Sunday Night and in March Seven conceded he had left the show altogether, but would continue to work across other news and public affairs shows. So far he is yet to file for Today Tonight or Sunrise.
Seven confirmed his most recent appearance was on June 25 on Seven News, which is not that long ago, really. But these would appear to be for the Sydney bulletin rather than a national presence.
“He has done some stories for Seven News and will read the occasional news bulletin down the track,” a spokesperson said.