Foxtel has confirmed a number of premieres in a major shift towards fast-tracking, in a bid to thwart online piracy and offer subscribers fresh content.
Following on from today’s lightning-fast launch of Sons of Anarchy just two hours after it launches in the US, it will unveil new Fall shows within 7 days of their US screening. Boardwalk Empire also launches two hours after the US.
The new “Express from the US” strategy will include:
- Sons of Anarchy, Season 5 at 3.10pm Wednesday September 12, two hours after the US east coast and just 10 minutes after the US west coast. Repeated 8:30pm Sunday September 16.
- Boardwalk Empire, Season 3, from 3pm Monday September 17, two hours after the US. Repeated 8:35pm Wednesday September 19.
- Dexter, Season 7, 8:30pm Thursday October 4, three days after the US.
- Revolution, Series Premiere, 8.30pm Wednesday September 19, 36 hours after the US.
- Grimm Season 2 from September 30, Sundays at 8.30pm, episode 5 onwards FOX8 will broadcast within 36 hours of US.
- 666 Park Avenue, Series Premiere, 9.30pm Monday October 1, within 12 hours of its US debut.
- Hart of Dixie Season 2 from October 8, Mondays at 8.30pm, within seven days of US.
- Gossip Girl Season 6 from October 9, Tuesdays at 8.30pm within 12 hours of the US.
- The Vampire Diaries Season 4 from October 17, Wednesdays at 7.30pm, within seven days of US.
- WWE Raw and WWE Smackdown already airing within 48 hours of the US.
- The Walking Dead Season 3, 8:30pm Tuesday October 16, just 33 hours after the US.
- The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills Season 3 will start November 6, airing within seven hours of the US.
- Don’t Trust The B**** in Apt 23 has launched on Arena (Mondays at 7.30pm) and Season 2 is scheduled to start October 29, just five days after the US.
The Comedy Channel:
- The Daily Show with Jon Stewart, The Colbert Report and Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, are already airing within 12 hours of the US and negotiations are underway to add more shows to the list.
FOX8’s summer lineup will include Last Man Standing Season 2, within 36 hours of US broadcast, and American Idol Season 12, within 12 hours.
Foxtel Executive Director of Television Brian Walsh said, “Foxtel customers are television lovers so, as a company, we can’t expect them to wait for these highly anticipated international program launches.
“The express from the US proposition is a powerful differentiator for Foxtel, we have always said watch what you want when you want and now, more than ever before, we can say watch with the world.
“Ignoring the audience demand for shortening the delivery windows is only serving to stimulate piracy, which as an industry we are compelled to quash.”
“Foxtel’s programming and acquisitions teams and many of our channel partners have been working to fine tune contracts and the mechanisms for the physical delivery of these hot international shows in order to deliver a better entertainment experience for our customers.
Foxtel’s ‘Express from the US’ programming lineup will continue to roll out over summer and in into 2013.
Revolution, Gossip Girl S6, 666 Park Avenue, Rove LA S2, The Vampire Diaries S4, Hart of Dixie S2, Sons of Anarchy S5, Boardwalk Empire S3 and Dexter S7 – Foxtel customers who miss any of the above express from the US can watch episodes as Catch Up in FOXTEL’s On Demand service, available to download from midnight following the show’s on-air broadcast. Once in the planner, the program can be watched as many times as they like within a 14-day period. The Catch Up service is available with a customer’s package at no additional cost. The customer’s internet-enabled FOXTEL iQ or iQHD set-top-box must be connected to the internet to watch shows as Catch Up.
NB: All times are EST.