ABC News presenter switch avoids conflict of interest
ABC switched presenters for its Sydney News bulletin because of a perceived conflict of interest involving presenter Juanita Phillips.
The ABC switched their staffing for its Sydney News bulletin on Friday because of a perceived conflict of interest involving presenter Juanita Phillips reading a story involving her partner, Minister for Climate Change, Greg Combet.
On Friday Combet was called to appear before the Independent Commission Against Corruption and asked questions about his involvement with former CFMEU boss John Maitland.
A spokeswoman for the ABC told Mumbrella: “As with any situation involving ABC editorial staff, we consider and manage conflicts on a common sense, case by case basis.”
“In this case ABC News decided that to address any perceived conflict of interest it was appropriate to reallocate staff for Friday night’s bulletin.”
It’s not clear what the conflict of interest entailed.
Last month News Limited reported Combet took Phillips on a first-class visit to Europe, but he said the trip met ministerial rules for travelling with spouses.
Scott Bevan presented the bulletin on Friday after a late afternoon change.