Good Friday Appeal to relocate venue

2013-11-15_0119After 11 years at Etihad Stadium in Docklands Seven’s annual Good Friday Appeal will move to a new home at the Melbourne Convention and Exhibition Centre next year.

The telethon will be staged at the 2,500-seat Plenary auditorium at MCEC. The public will be able to purchase tickets to join the live studio audience, with proceeds donated to the Appeal.

The MCEC complex also features a foyer area and support rooms to expand activities for the event.

“The MCEC is a great opportunity for the Appeal to continue to grow while providing an even better opportunity for Victorians to come along and be part of a terrific family fun day,” said Deborah Hallmark, Executive Director of the Good Friday Appeal.

Penny Fowler, chairman of the Herald & Weekly Times, which founded the Appeal in 1931, said: “Activities for the Good Friday Appeal had humble beginnings in the loading dock of the former Herald & Weekly Times building in Flinders St – it’s amazing how far the Appeal has come since then; we are proud of our 83- year association with the Appeal and we hope as many Victorians as possible will embrace the new venue at the Melbourne Convention & Exhibition Centre.”

Other venues have included Seven’s Dorcas Street studios in South Melbourne.

The Managing Director of Seven Melbourne, Lewis Martin, said: “With this move, the Good Friday Appeal will be taken to a whole new level in 2014 – as TV entertainment, as a family day out, and most importantly as a way to raise money for the sick children of Victoria.”

Since its inception in 1931, Victorians have donated $258 million.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.