ABC‘s Lateline reported Monica Jones appeared in the Federal Circuit Court on Monday to fight the Immigration Department’s efforts to deport her, after she was detained in Villawood Detention Centre last week accused of breaching her visa work conditions.
“It was about 30 seconds before the cameras showed up from Channel Seven Border Security and tried to get me on their TV show,” she said.
Producers told her that her case would make an interesting story but she asked them to stop filming.
“They knew what was going to happen,” she said. “They knew details of what Immigration was going to do to me. I think they knew it was great TV, that that could sensationalise my story.”
Monica Jones lost her bid to stay and agreed to leave voluntarily. She will make another court appearance via video link from the US to challenge the Immigration Department’s procedures.
Her case has attracted support from Orange Is the New Black‘s Laverne Cox.
“I just felt like I had to be here to lend my voice in whatever platform I have to make – more people will hopefully pay attention to this case,” she said.
Source: Guardian Australia.