FOX Footy is to stage a four day AFL Grand Final festival in the MCG precinct with family entertainment and using Yarra Park as its broadcasting base.
With a (somewhat controversial) public holiday on Grand Final Eve coming, the event from September 30 – October 3rd will capitalise on football fever.
AFL CEO Gillon McLachlan said, “There is nothing quite like the atmosphere in Grand Final week in Melbourne with fans arriving from interstate or regional Victoria and wearing their colours proudly.
“It’s not just the culmination of the football season but a great time to be in the city and soak up everything it has to offer.
“Football, food and music are cornerstones of Melbourne culture and this festival celebrates everything that makes Melbourne such a great city.”
Ben Buckley, Foxtel Executive Director of Sport & Content Partnerships said, “Foxtel is proud to partner with the AFL to celebrate one of the biggest events of the year – the 2015 Toyota AFL Grand Final – with a four day festival in the heart of Melbourne. Foxtel is able to bring to life some of its most loved shows providing a unique opportunity for fans to meet their favourite stars and interact with some of our most popular shows at the Festival. We’re very excited about the broad range of areas we have set-up to run throughout the four day Festival with something to offer Footy fans and newcomers alike, as well as family friendly events, screenings and attractions.”
Football fans are expected to flock to the MCG Precinct in the lead up to the Toyota AFL Grand Final with a host of free and fun activities planned for a festival beyond football.
The Foxtel Footy Festival, located in Yarra Park outside Gate 3 at the MCG, will run for four days from Wednesday September 30 until Toyota AFL Grand Final Day on Saturday October 3, and celebrate everything Melbourne has to offer including food, music, movies, and of course football.
All fans are invited to attend free of charge with a huge variety of activities, including live bands and DJs, food stalls and movie screenings for people of all ages to enjoy.
Foxtel Footy Festival Highlights:
• Toyota AFL Grand Final Live Site
• FOX Footy Stage – FOX Footy will make Yarra Park its home for Wednesday to Saturday of Toyota AFL Grand Final week, broadcasting Live from the Foxtel Footy Festival. Come down and see your favourite FOX Footy shows and hosts, with AFL 360, League Teams, Bounce and full comprehensive coverage on Toyota AFL Grand Final Day; all Live on the FOX Footy stage.
• Music Festival on Thursday and Friday night presented by Foxtel’s Channel [V] and Max. Max to feature a band on the Thursday evening and Channel [V]’s very own global DJ Generik will be throwing down an exclusive DJ set to ignite your Grand Final Eve celebrations. Catch him on the Channel [V] Stage at the Foxtel Footy Festival from 7pm Friday
• LifeStyle Taste of Football curated by celebrity chef Shannon Bennett and featuring iconic Melbourne food traders
• Presto Movies at the G – Come down to the Presto Movies at the G on Wednesday through Friday night to enjoy free screenings of some of Presto’s fantastic premium content. With 2 sessions each night there will be something for the whole family.
• Meet your favourite Foxtel stars including the Real Housewives of Melbourne
• Finishing point for the Toyota AFL Grand Final Parade, proudly supported by the City of Melbourne and broadcast live on the FOX Footy channel
• AFL Women’s Style Lounge
• Carlton Draught Grand Final Front Bar
The Toyota AFL Grand Final Parade, proudly supported by the City of Melbourne and broadcast live on the FOX Footy channel on Friday October 2 will follow a new route that finishes at the Foxtel Footy Festival, with players from both competing teams to be presented on stage.
Bumper crowds are expected to enjoy the Toyota AFL Grand Final Parade, Foxtel Footy Festival and expanded Toyota AFL Grand Final Live Site. The recently announced public holiday on Friday October 2 gives all Melburnians and visitors to the city the chance to make the most of the free activities throughout the day.
The Toyota AFL Grand Final Live Site will also be located in Yarra Park and run from Wednesday September 30 to Saturday October 3 and will also offer a range of free activities for fans of all ages.
Highlights include NAB AFL Auskick clinics, Woolworths AFL Playground, giant footy inflatables, the Telstra Social Media Hub, CBeebies and Nickelodeon zones, Wolf Blass “The Nest” wine bar, the Strongbow cider bar, live performances on stage and loads of giveaways from the AFL’s corporate and broadcast partners.