Nine stands down Andrew Johns

2015-10-04_2016

Nine yesterday stood down Andrew Johns from the NRL Grand Final broadcast following an alleged intoxication incident at Toowoomba airport on Friday night.

Johns was photographed on the floor of the airport accused after allegedly propositioning a married woman.

Helen Wright criticised his behaviour on Facebook writing,”I wish that football commentators [had] more pride and a much higher standard of behaviour in public.

“This is not an example that should be presented to children that were present! Many of the children had taken photos of him passed out. My own sons have played football all their lives and we love the game. But not this aspect of the game. Regards Helen Wright.”

Johns did not appear on Nine’s Sunday Footy Show, and was dropped from Nine’s Grand Final broadcast last year.

“We’ve made the decision to stand him down,” Nine Sports director Steve Crawley told the Daily Telegraph.

“I spoke to Andew several times yesterday and we made the decision last night.

“He will not be on air for any part of our coverage.”

Johns, whose contract with Nine has now expired, denied he “passed out” and said he lay down. He later apologised to Helen Wright.

Nine’s football talent continue to attract headlines including Beau Ryan, Billy Brownless and Brett Finch.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald
Photo: Helen Wright

6 Comments:

    • He probably will return. If Nine were willing to re-instate Beau Ryan after his cheating allegation, then it really wouldn’t surprise me if we see Johns presenting Nine’s coverage by Round 1 next year…

  1. Ok, so maybe his behaviour was inappropriate for a TV sports commentator, but what this woman has done, by photographing him and making a complaint, has possibly effected his working future. I think she might be regretting the mountain she made out of a molehill.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.