Optus has unveiled plans for its English Premier League but fans have taken to social media to baulk at the pricing.
Subscriptions are available for $15 a month on top of existing mobile plans or included in plans starting from $85 per month.
The package will include all 380 games streamed live, as well as a dedicated EPL channel with catch-up games and analysis.
The minimum subscription available is $40 per month on tablet or phone, with new subscribers locked in for 24 months -a minimum outlay of $1320.
To view on a big screen via Fetch TV, the cost climbs to $2160 over 24 months.
Exclusive live access to every match of the world’s greatest football competition is just the beginning. We’re giving fans flexibility and choice around their EPL experience with Optus including:
• Every match live: Australia’s first 24/7 EPL channel boasts up to nine sub-channels, so viewers never miss a minute of the action on match day, no matter how many teams are playing.
• Dedicated EPL channel: Devoted exclusively to the English Premier League, Optus’ 24/7 EPL channel will carry all 380 live matches of the 2016/17 season, as well as the most comprehensive EPL news and analysis ever offered in Australia with shows like Match of the Week, News, Fanzone and Match Day Live.
• Un-metered EPL: Streaming EPL over the Optus mobile and fixed network will be data free on eligible plans. This means customers accessing the content from an eligible plan will be able to stream as much EPL content as they want, without using their mobile, mobile broadband or home broadband data allowance. (Note: advertisements, analytics and authentication use data).
• Device of your choice: Optus will launch new mobile and tablet apps, and a dedicated website that will allow customers to sync up to four devices through their subscription. To broadcast EPL at a venue, register your interest here: https://offer.optus.com.au/eplbusiness.
• Screen-in-screen viewing: Subscriptions come with access to a dedicated new website that supports up to four screens, for those times when games are on at the same time.
Ben White, Managing Director of Marketing and Product at Optus, said, “From mobile plans with generous data and call inclusions, through to home broadband plans that come with unlimited data, Yes TV by Fetch, and the EPL included, Optus has a great range of EPL plans suited to all lifestyles and budgets.”
“While you’ll need to be an Optus customer to get all the EPL action, Optus research shows that close to two in three (63%) football fans, who are not already Optus customers, are out of contract for at least one of their fixed broadband or mobile services.”
“We’re confident that when these fans see our range of great value EPL-ready plans, they’ll be convinced that now’s the right time to switch. And for those not quite ready to make that extra commitment, we also have a great postpaid BYO mobile plan that will provide access to the EPL,” Mr White said.