Laxon previously acted for former Nine News chief Mark Llewellyn over the infamous Jessica Rowe “bone” affair and former reporter Christine Spiteri.
The decision to sack Rice was made by CEO Hugh Marks despite the internal review noting:
The review panel does not recommend that any staff member should be singled out for dismissal given the degree of autonomy accorded to 60 Minutes.
The Daily Telegraph reports Rice believed nobody would be sacked and did not have legal representation at the review.
This week Marks did not comment on a financial settlement, but the article suggests Rice has not signed off on an offer and the move has damaged his reputation.
On Sunday the current affairs show finally said sorry to its audience.
“Two months ago we set out on a story in Lebanon which ended up with our 60 Minutes crew and others being jailed in Beirut. Ever since, we’ve been asking ourselves how things could have gone so wrong, and tonight we face up to the errors we made. We sincerely apologise for our serious mistakes,” said Michael Usher.
“Multiple and serious mistakes were made in the planning and execution of the story. The fact is there is a lot to learn for us in this experience at 60 Minutes and for the entire network.”
Founder Gerald Stone described the incident as the “greatest misadventure” in the show’s 37 year history.