OzTAM has renewed its contract with Nielsen to supply ratings data from 2018 to 2020 and will increase the number of households in its panels by 50%.
Nielsen supplies OzTAM with data for Australia’s five mainland capital cities and nationally for subscription television (STV).
The expansion, which will be completed by the start of 2017, will take OzTAM’s metropolitan panel to 5,250 homes and its STV panel to 2,120 from the present 3,500 and 1,413, respectively.
Concurrently, Regional TAM has announced the expansion of its own panel by 50 per cent to more than 3,000 homes.
The additional homes in the OzTAM and Regional TAM panels will make Australia the world’s largest per capita people metered market.
OzTAM CEO Doug Peiffer said: “Australia is a highly dynamic media market, and television is the most scrutinised and analysed of any segment.
“To reinforce the confidence the industry retains in OzTAM TV ratings we continually invest in the service to reflect changes in the television landscape and audience behaviour.
“Our longstanding and collaborative relationship with Nielsen has underpinned that effort and supported progressive innovation – for example, Time Shift Viewing, the inclusion of mobile phone-only homes in the panels, and previous increases to the number of panel homes.
“This new agreement builds on our partnership, provides continuity and delivers even greater accountability. And with the additional OzTAM and Regional TAM panel homes, Australia will become the world’s largest per capita people metered market.”
Nielsen’s Head of TV Audience Measurement, David Ellem, said “The Nielsen team have worked hard to deliver the TV industry an impeccable record of exceptional standards of service. The relationship with OzTAM is built on quality, expertise and independence. As OzTAM’s service evolves, Nielsen is there for them every step of the way.”
The new agreement also gives OzTAM flexibility to expand its ‘iPanel’, testing how households respond to new technologies.
· Nielsen is OzTAM’s audience research supplier, recruiting, operating and maintaining the in-home panels, and producing the TV ratings data. OzTAM owns the copyright to and markets the data.
· Households are recruited to OzTAM’s panels via a large-scale Establishment Survey, which defines and accurately represents the population and its characteristics for which OzTAM provides data.
· OzTAM first awarded the contract to supply television audience measurement services in Australia to the Italy-based AGB Group (now Nielsen) in 2000. The ensuing ATR Australia TV ratings panel, based on 3,000+ homes in metropolitan areas, began supplying data to OzTAM on 1 January 2001. That contract was extended in 2007 for the period 2008-14.
· In April 2003, OzTAM contracted ATR Australia (now Nielsen) to provide television audience measurement services for the National Subscription TV service. That agreement was extended in 2007 for the period 2008-2014.
· Investment in Unitam meters allowed OzTAM to add 7-day Time Shift Viewing data to its ratings service from the start of the 2010 ratings year. In 2016 Time Shift Viewing up to 28 days after the original broadcast was introduced.
· In 2012 OzTAM’s panel expanded to 3,500 metro homes and 1,413 national STV homes, and Nielsen’s contract was extended through 2017.
· The 50 per cent expansion in OzTAM’s metro and STV panel homes will bring the panels to 5,250 and 2,120 homes, respectively, in 2017.