Media has had a field day with coverage of the shock departure by Lisa Wilkinson from Today to The Project.
Here’s a summary of some of the key points reported, but note most come without on-the-record sources, so make up your own mind:
- Wilkinson joins TEN from January 2018.
- Wilkinson to appear two weeknights on The Project, plus hosting Sunday edition.
- Wilkinson to front other TEN programming, including US interviews.
- Wilkinson disappointed not to have been allowed to say goodbye to Today viewers.
- Nine maintains Today salary would have had parity with Karl Stefanovic, but his other roles including 60 Minutes and This Time Next Year entail more.
- Wilkinson was on just over $1m and was offered another $50,000. Other reports claim offer was upped to $1.8m.
- 10 producer roles would have had to go for Nine to meet salary demands.
- Nine called her bluff over contract demands. 45 minutes later she signed with TEN.
- Nine cancelled her access swipe shortly after negotiations broke down.
- CBS backed TEN’s hiring of Wilkinson, estimated at anywhere between $750,000 – $2m.
- Audience research indicated viewers more supportive of Wilkinson than Stefanovic, empowering her negotiations through manager Nick Fordham.
- Wilkinson’s deal with Huffington Post prevented her from contributing to Nine digital platforms.
- Nine concerned over her ads sponsoring garlic supplements, recently criticised by Media Watch.
Congrats on 10 years in the a.m's @Lisa_Wilkinson good luck with the new gig. At least I can watch you now…😜xx
— Samantha Armytage (@sam_armytage) October 16, 2017
— Leigh Sales (@leighsales) October 16, 2017
Hey we can do dinner now @Lisa_Wilkinson
Congratulations! Enjoy sleeping in x
— Melissa Doyle (@melissadoyle) October 16, 2017
Thinking of my colleague @Lisa_Wilkinson snoozing past 3am today and basking in the glow of a smart, bold and empowered, decision. Go girl!
— Virginia Trioli (@LaTrioli) October 16, 2017
Now officially welcome to the family Lisa! X🌺 https://t.co/od0jyakFu9
— Sandra Sully (@Sandra_Sully) October 16, 2017
— PatriciaKarvelas (@PatsKarvelas) October 16, 2017
Congratulations @Lisa_Wilkinson for a decade of success at Channel 9. I've loved working alongside you. Good luck with the next chapter.
— BenFordham (@BenFordham) October 16, 2017
— Emma Alberici (@albericie) October 16, 2017
Don't worry, I won't be joining @TheTodayShow. If they can't afford Lisa, then they sure as hell can't afford me.
— Lee Lin Chin (@LeeLinChinSBS) October 16, 2017