The Australian Subscription Television and Radio Association is reviewing its Codes of Practice and seeks public comment.
According to ASTRA the proposed Code:
- Is simplified, more concise, and easier for licensees and consumers to understand;
- Retains key community safeguards in relation to classification, advertising, news and current affairs, privacy and complaints-handling;
- Combines the currently separate Subscription Television Broadcasting and Subscription Television Narrowcasting Codes into a single, easy to use document;
- Makes no change to recently established restrictions on gambling advertising; and
- Reflects the ongoing very low levels of complaint regarding content on subscription television services.
The proposed Code and explanatory materials are available at www.astra.org.au/codesofpractice.
Before the new Code comes into effect, it must be considered and registered by the Australian Communications and Media Authority.
Submissions may be sent to ASTRA via post to:
ASTRA Code of Practice Review
5 Thomas Holt Drive
North Ryde, NSW, 2113
Submissions may be made electronically to [email protected].
The closing date for public comment is 4 February 2019.