Labor pledges $93m for ABC

Labor again pledged to restore funding cuts to ABC, in the Budget Reply speech by Opposition Leader Bill Shorten.

“Not only will we put back the $83 million the Liberals have cut from the ABC, we’ll provide another $10 million to support regional news and emergency broadcasting, particularly in areas affected by natural disasters such as Townsville, Tasmania and regional Victoria,” Shorten said.

Shorten has previously said  ABC already made enough savings and Labor would reverse changes made by the Coalition.

In 2014 the Turnbull govt announced ABC cuts of $254m over 5 years, followed by a further $83.7m cut in the 2018 budget.

On Tuesday announced an extra $43.7 million over three years for local news and current affairs services which Acting Manager Director David Anderson said was crucial to our delivery of news, analysis and investigations to the Australian public.

2 Comments:

  1. … ah, how quickly we forget … and what percentage was it that Bob Hawke and Paul Keating cut from the ABC’s budget while they were in control of the purse strings? The Libs have a long way to go before they match that! At the end of the day, politicians from any party are all as bad as each other.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.