“Tough decision”: Nine axes AFL Footy Show
"Sadly the new show has not captured audiences in the way we had hoped," says Nine.
Nine has axed The Footy Show, after its failed revamp, ending the longest running sports entertainment program in prime-time TV.
It follows dire ratings for the show, a savaging by Seven’s Front Bar and industry chatter over the revamp with Andrew ‘Lehmo’ Lehmann, Neroli Meadows, Brendan Fevola, Dylan Alcott and Shane Crawford.
Nine made the announcement via a press release following tonight’s show.
Nine’s Melbourne Managing Director, Matt Scriven, said, “I want to thank the current hosts, Anthony Lehmann, Neroli Meadows, Dylan Alcott, Brendan Fevola and Shane Crawford, the former hosts of The Footy Show, and the hard working crew for their great contribution.
“It is with regret that The Footy Show will no longer be produced. It has been a tough decision to end the program that has been such a trailblazer, but sadly the new show has not captured audiences in the way we had hoped.
“Over the past three decades Nine has led the way with AFL entertainment and news programs and we will continue to do so, with the production of the award-winning Footy Classified and the Sunday Footy Show.
“We remain committed to the AFL and creating great AFL content, and we will continue to focus on new ways to engage audiences who love the code.”
Since its revamp in March the new look Footy Show has struggled in the ratings. Seven’s Front Bar dominated last week, 427,000 to The Footy Show‘s meagre 97,000 (both 5 city metro). There have been some criticisms Nine was wrong to brand the revamp under its long-running title, but the network favoured trying to retain the audience it had rather than building from the ground up.
This post updates.