ABC Adelaide turns 60
This was ABC's first TV building in Adelaide, broadcasting from 11th March 1960.
Today marks the 60th anniversary of ABC TV in Adelaide.
ABS2 began broadcasting on 11th March 1960 from its studios in Collinswood. Tregenna, an adjacent 1913 two-storey mansion became the station’s administration block.
It began with a 20-minute introduction featuring speeches from Postmaster-General Charles Davidson, South Australian Premier Sir Thomas Playford and Opposition Leader Michael O’Halloran.
This was followed by the first ABC News bulletin then US sitcom The Phil Silvers Show, a documentary on Soviet leader Nikita Khrushchev, Western series Tales Of Wells Fargo, British drama Boyd QC, a local documentary on Adelaide and a live music program before the documentary Growing Up With Guba.
Tregenna was demolished and replaced in 1974 by the current building, officially opened by Gough Whitlam. Colour TV arrived a year later.
In 2014 due to funding cuts ABC was forced to close production. Recent shows had included Poh’s Kitchen, The Cook & The Chef, Behind The News, Dream Build,