Nine is committed to 60 Minutes for “the next 40 years” says news boss Darren Wick -a hefty commitment in TV-land but one that was in response to a media article.
The Sunday Telegraph had speculated the long-running current affairs show was facing the axe in a move to save $20m in costs.
But Wick has told The Australian, “The future of 60 Minutes has never been in question. It’s one of our strongest and longest-running brands and a program we are immensely proud of.
“It’s been telling amazing stories for 40 years, and we’re looking to it telling even better stories for the next 40 years.”
Wick also conceded, “Yes, we’ve had to make some difficult decisions at all news and current affairs programs. But I don’t think they’re an island in the media on that.”
The newspaper also claims 4 staff on A Current Affair lost jobs last week.