10 upbeat over 2020 shows
MasterChef, Australian Survivor & HYBPA? have helped 10 to grow this year.
10 is buoyed by the performance of its shows in the first half of the Calendar year with their biggest first half commercial share since 2011, based on 6-10:30pm.
Successes have included MasterChef Australia, Australian Survivor, The Project, Have You Been Paying Attention?, The Secrets She Keeps and I’m A Celebrity Get Me Out Of Here!
A number of shows have been strong in both Total People and Demographics this year, notably MasterChef, HYBPA? and Australian Survivor.
In April Chief Sales Officer Rod Prosser tipped 10 would become the number two network in 25-54s and all the key demographics by May -by the end of May it achieved this in weekly results. Last week Seven led in both with Nine second in 25-54 and 10 second in 16-39.
10 also cites the biggest growth across the first half of any network year-on-year.
Chief content officer and EVP of ViacomCBS Australia and New Zealand Beverley McGarvey said: “We are continuing to grow strongly. Our 50 weeks of general entertainment programming strategy this year is paying off. It began in the very first week of 2020 with the launch of I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! on 5 January, a week earlier than 2019. This season saw an improved performance on 2019’s successful season, cementing its place as a premium entertainment option for audiences over January.
“The success of our refreshed first quarter this year continued the success and momentum we had at the end of 2019, with Australian Survivor: All Stars, Ambulance Australia, Gogglebox Australia and Dancing With The Stars all collectively lifting 10’s timeslot audiences this year.
“In March, like the rest of the world, we had to navigate the challenges of a global pandemic and adapt our production methodologies to ensure we could overcome the specific issues we faced as a news, production and entertainment business. Therefore, it was especially encouraging to see Australians turn to 10 to be informed and entertained with 10 News First, The Project and MasterChef Australia: Back To Win attracting big audiences.
“The strong performances continued with Have You Been Paying Attention?, which launched to its biggest season premiere audience ever. And, Australian scripted shows The Secrets She Keeps and How To Stay Married performed brilliantly,” she said.
“Our laser focus on the under 50s and key age groups is also reaping benefits, with 10 securing five of the top 10 shows in under 50s, 25 to 54s, 16 to 39s and 18 to 49s so far this year – more than any other network.”
10 also flagged its upcoming 2020 content: Bachelor In Paradise, The Bachelor Australia, The Bachelorette Australia, The Masked Singer, Junior MasterChef, Gogglebox Australia, Drunk History Australia, Bondi Rescue, The Living Room, the Melbourne Cup Carnival, the Bathurst 1000, the MotoGP World Championship, Wallabies Tests including the Bledisloe Cup, plus more Have You Been Paying Attention?, The Sunday Project, The Project and the crowning of the 2020 winner of MasterChef Australia: Back to Win.
Absent are Five Bedrooms (which recently resumed filming), Australian Survivor and The Amazing Race, with the latter to now film a domestic version for 2021. Also unconfirmed is the future of Playing for Keeps.
10 is also casting for 10 new episodes of Family Feud to feature emergency and frontline workers.
Beverley McGarvey added, “We have seen some incredible competition in this first half across the commercial free-to-air TV networks, which is great news for the overall TV landscape. The competition is set to heat up when we launch our fourth channel later this year. The channel will strengthen our under 50s programming and boost our network share.”
The growth in the first half of 2020 is attributed to strong performances across 10’s prime time schedule including:
• MasterChef Australia: Back To Win is currently up 46% compared to its 2019 average and is achieving its biggest audience since 2016.
• Australian Survivor: All Stars lifted 10’s audience in its timeslot by 49% compared to 2019.
• Have You Been Paying Attention? is currently up 9% compared to its 2019 average. It also achieved its biggest season launch ever.
• I’m A Celebrity…Get Me Out Of Here! was up 8% compared to its 2019 season, achieving its highest commercial share ever.
• The Project is currently up 25% compared to its 2019 average and is achieving its biggest audience since 2017.
• The Sunday Project is currently up 30% compared to its 2019 average and is achieving its biggest audience ever.
• Ambulance Australia was up 16% compared to its 2019 average and achieved its biggest audience since 2018.
• 10 News First is currently up 15% compared to its 2019 average and is achieving its biggest audience since 2017.
• Gogglebox Australia was up 8% compared to its 2019 average and achieved its biggest audience since October 2017.
• How To Stay Married was up 13% compared to its season one average in 2018.
• Hughesy, We Have A Problem was up 11% compared to its 2019 average.