Australia drops out of Junior Eurovision 2020

Update: Australia will not participate in Junior Eurovision this year, due to take place in Warsaw, Poland on November 29 in a large television studio, rather than an arena.

SBS is the broadcaster responsible for all things Eurovision but in 2017 agreed to move Junior Eurovision to the kid-friendly ABC ME. Three singers represented Australia during this time: Isabella Clarke (3rd place), Jael Wena (3rd) and Jordan Anthony (8th).

Spanish-language fan blog Eurofestivales reported SBS was considering Australia’s participation for 2020, particularly in light of COVID restrictions, including whether an act could appear remotely.

An SBS spokesperson has now told TV Tonight it has now advised the EBU it is not participating.

“Due to the current travel restrictions and the ongoing uncertainty around this situation, Australia will not be competing in the Junior Eurovision Contest 2020,” they said.

Correction: ABC advises it has not cut ties with Junior Eurovision.

4 Comments:

  1. This is very surprising as ABC ME seemed pretty committed to Junior Eurovision previously with live streams, daily updates, etc. I wonder if the budget cuts have anything to do with this?

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.