ABC changes for Foxtel satellite viewers
Big changes for ABC viewers who view through Foxtel satellite.
ABC is making changes which will affect Foxtel satellite viewers.
From today on Foxtel satellite, five ABC TV state / territory channels ( for NSW, VIC, QLD, SA & NT) will be replaced by one national ABC TV channel.
Satellite subscribers in NSW, TAS, VIC, ACT will no longer see a local 7pm news bulletin, but a single national bulletin.
In other states and territories as well as a national bulletin all programs will be in AEDT time (and AEST from April). Note: The Western Australia ABC1 feed is not changing.
The move is due to ABC minimising costs, creating a national ABC TV channel on Foxtel satellite, compared to the retransmission costs associated with 5 state / territory ABC TV channels.
- For QLD viewers on Foxtel satellite, during Daylight Savings Time, programs on this channel will be on 1 hour earlier than advertised. Outside of Daylight Savings Time, programs will be as advertised.
- For SA viewers on Foxtel satellite, throughout the year, programs on this channel will be on 30mins earlier than advertised.
- For NT viewers on Foxtel satellite, during Daylight Savings Time, programs on this channel will be on 1.5 hour earlier than advertised. Outside of Daylight Savings Time, programs on this channel will be on 30mins earlier than advertised.
Foxtel satellite customers can continue to watch their local ABC TV, in their local time zone and with their local 7pm news bulletin. To do so, they have a number of options:
- Watch their local ABC TV through free-to-air terrestrial transmission (requiring an antenna).
- Watch a live stream of their local ABC TV via the ABC iview app – available on many Smart TVs, set top boxes (including FOXTEL IQ3 and IQ4 set top boxes) and devices. An internet connection is required for this option.
- Watch their local ABC TV via the VAST satellite service.
If you have any programs that are Series Linked on the ABC, you’ll need to set up these Series Links again as they won’t automatically transfer to the new national channel.
More info is at:
Watching ABC on Foxtel satellite section.