0/5

Paul Kent to seek treatment for mental health and drinking problems.

Lawyers ask court for case to be adjourned under a mental health and cognitive impairment law.

Suspended FOX Sports presenter Paul Kent attended Downing Centre Local Court today, charged over an alleged scuffle with another man outside a Rozelle restaurant last month.

His lawyer asked the court to delay his case to seek treatment for mental health and drinking problems.

George Elias told the court he would seek an application for the case to be adjourned under a mental health and cognitive impairment law.

Kent had sought urgent counselling after the brawl, Elias told the court, and he needed time to see doctors and assemble a mental health treatment plan.

“He’s got an urgent appointment to see [one doctor] on the 22nd of May and [is seeking] other treatment … regarding alcohol,” Elias said.

Under the Act, a magistrate may make an order to dismiss a person into the care of a responsible person if they are found to suffer a mental impairment.

Magistrate Scott Nash agreed to a six-week adjournment for Mr Kent to receive a treatment plan from his new doctor and dismissed his bail reporting conditions.

The NRL 360 host declined to enter a plead guilty on Tuesday to secure the largest possible discount on sentence, if he is later convicted.

The charges come only months after Mr Kent was found not guilty of allegations he choked and assaulted his then-partner, a result he called a “vindication”.

FOX Sports and News Corp previously issued a joint statement stating, “FOX Sports presenter and News Corp Australia columnist Paul Kent has been stood down pending an immediate investigation.”

The magistrate gave Kent until July to return with his treatment plan.

Source: Sydney Morning Herald, news.com.au