After SBS asked for ideas for a new local entertainment show, Trevor Ashley (Hairspray The Musical) filmed a pilot of The Very Trevor Ashley Show, a modern comedy featuring a Filipino cleaner (Lena Cruz), a Muslim taxi driver (Nazeem Hussain) and a very white self-absorbed performer (Trevor Ashley).
In a case of art imitating life, Ashley delivered a comedy pilot about fictional TV station ‘MBS’ commissioning a pilot for a comedy / entertainment show with no money, no guests and no idea. Ashley’s plan is to then impersonate guests such as Cher, Shirley Bassey, Susan Boyle and, in the pilot episode, Liza Minnelli (Ashley is currently performing Liza on an E on the West End).
Also in the cast are Amanda Muggleton, George Houvardas, Maria Venuti (as herself) and Maggie Dence!
In the show and real life:
• Comedy performer Nazeem Hussain had a real job as a tax lawyer. His Director character Naj doubles as a taxi driver.
• Nazeem and George Houvardas (Packed To The Rafters) both still live at home with their family.
• Actress Lena Cruz also worked as a cleaner as she tried to break into show business, like her character Carmen.
• Trevor Ashley performed in retirement homes.
• Trevor makes a career out of brilliantly portraying the world’s biggest female singing stars.
• Trevor had a mini-meltdown on the set.
• Maria Venuti asked if she could be a guest.
This is created by Miriam Stein & Greg Logan from Hatch Entertainment, who recently won a global deal with Warner Bros by winning the International Pitch MIPTV Formats Competition in Cannes, written by Trevor Ashley & Phil Scott and directed by Erin White (At Home With Julia).
This screens for one night only, and producers are hoping SBS will commission a full series from the pilot.
Wednesday night at 11.25pm on SBS2. Set your PVR!