Seven has officially confirmed the end of its long association with Dancing with the Stars.
A Seven spokesperson has told the Daily Telegraph, “We’ve had a great deal of enjoyment and fun during the incredible 12 years of tulle and twirling Dancing has given us all. The audience numbers from the last season were disappointing though, and the show will not return in 2017.”
During its 12 years the show was a mega-hit for Seven -first with Daryl Somers and later with Daniel MacPherson. At its height it was pulling over 2 million viewers, a plethora of media coverage and even celebrity romances. But the 2015 season with Shane Bourne struggled to keep longterm fans of the show tuning in and the show is expensive to produce.
While it didn’t appear this year, Seven had kept its dance card open on the format. But with Seven’s Upfronts due on Wednesday, the confirmation will avoid likely questions.
It may also be a hint that another network has moved towards the show given’s Seven’s rights would presumably lapse after 12 months off air. Nine previously pounced on Australia’s Got Talent as soon as rights had expired. Could another network be circling the show for their own stable of stars…?
A year ago a Seven spokesperson said, “Another series of Dancing With The Stars was never in doubt — of course it is back next year.”