Ryan Phelan pleads not guilty

Former Daily Edition presenter Ryan Phelan this morning pleaded not guilty to allegedly assaulting his partner, Chelsea Franklin.

Police allege Phelan assaulted Ms Franklin at their Frenchs Forest home on June 20, with Franklin attending police station later that evening. Police arrested Phelan the same evening and charged him with the two alleged offences on Monday June 23.

Seven subsequently sacked Phelan, during the final week of the show’s broadcast, after reportedly learning of the events.

He is charged with assault occasioning actual bodily harm and common assault, while an AVO against him has been applied for by police on behalf of Ms Franklin. He entered his pleas via the court registry and is on bail under conditions he does not stalk or harass Ms Franklin, or destroy or damage any of her property. Court papers stated Phelan has no history of violence and no criminal record.

Outside Manly Local Court today lawyer Claudette Chua said, “Mr Phelan has been cooperating with police. He respects and understands that the police, and the courts, have an obligation to take any allegation of domestic violence very seriously.

“False allegations of domestic violence are extremely serious, they result in the total unacceptable victimisation of the accused person, and they also are unhelpful to women everywhere.”

Chelsea Franklin last week claimed the impact of Phelan’s sacking from Seven led to an argument that saw her report him to police.

She has told media the alleged incident had been a “horrible mistake” and said she “still loves him.”

Last week Daily Edition presenter Sally Obermeder told viewers, “Before we go on, I want to address Ryan Phelan’s absence from the programme.

“Ryan will not be returning to The Daily Edition due to the serious allegations made against him.

“The network was unaware of these allegations until notified last night. We were all understandably shocked by the allegations, but as the matter is now before the courts we will not be commenting further.”

He was subsequently wiped from the show’s finale highlights.

The matter was adjourned and will return to Manly Local Court on August 8.

1800respect.org.au
Lifeline: 13 11 14

Source: news.com.au, Daily Mail

Comments are closed.