Driving charges dropped against Barry Du Bois
Judge throws out driving charge against Living Room presenter.
Good news for former Living Room presenter Barry Du Bois after Waverly Court today threw out driving charges and issued a fine.
Du Bois had been charged with driving while his licence was suspended after he was stopped by NSW police at on May 17 in Bondi. Police then discovered his licence had been suspended days earlier due to an unpaid fine associated to a car he had been using as part of an ambassadorship for Mitsubishi.
Today he pleaded guilty to the “administrative error”, admitting he had received a text from Revenue NSW but he had dismissed it as an attempt to scam money.
News.com.au reports in his letter of apology, Mr Du Bois explained the car hadn’t been in his possession at the time and he hadn’t been notified of the toll fine because he wasn’t the owner.
“He made an error, he got the text,” Magistrate Ross Hudson said today.
“That’s as high as it goes.”
Du Bois had a “limited” driving record with a “smattering of offending” and the magistrate pointed to his consistent philanthropic efforts.
“My good character has now been smeared,” he said outside the court.
Du Bois continues to battle cancer which remerged after a decade-long battle in 2017, and has attracted wide support from fans and colleagues.