Nine moves Sherlock premiere to Sunday
You blogged, they listened? Nine blinks and moves Sherlock to a much more deserving Sunday night premiere, and also holds off The Mentalist.
You blogged, they listened?
Nine has had a rethink on its programming of Sherlock, originally slated as a rather late Monday 9:30pm screening.
Now it will move to Sunday at 8:30pm October 17 for its first episode AND add its second episode to 8:30pm Monday October 18. As a two hour episode this means The Mentalist will no longer return on October 18. It will conclude Sunday October 24.
Giving Sherlock a 8:30pm Sunday slot is far more deserving of its merits, given the show was devised by Doctor Who writers Steven Moffat and Mark Gatiss. Nine had originally slated a Get Smart movie in that time, which now moves to Friday night October 22nd.
Yesterday a number of TV Tonight readers agreed that Nine’s initial plans to show Sherlock at 9:30 on a Monday was late for a school night:
– “Had Sherlock been on the ABC it will be on Sunday 8.30pm for sure, and will attract as many viewers as Midsomer Murders.”
– “First Sherlock should have been on the ABC but that aside it’s a Sunday type show better suited to 8:30 as each of the 3 special at 2 hours long when Nine puts in the ads. It’s a solid series but Mondays at that time it’s just not going to rate, at least with just 3 eps it’s not likely to be moved or axed, is it?”
– “Channel 9, you are the most stupid F***ed up network, I’ve ever seen, you don not put a world class drama such as Sherlock which rated extremly high in the uk at 9.30, a move to 8.30 would of scored it 2 million”
– “I don’t understand why anyone at Nine would have thought that this fitted in with their audience, and then to put it on at 9:30 and worse, on a Monday just beggars belief. “
– “Way too much stuff on a monday, don’t know if I can fit Sherlock in, maybe if I watch it live but that never seems to work now that I am so reliant on my PVRs.”
A True CSI ep will now also air at 10:30pm Monday Oct 18.