The Voice shifts to Seven

In a surprise move Seven has secured  The Voice for 2021.

The singing show from ITV Studios Australia will see Sonia Kruger return when it is “reimagined to capture the spirit of the times” in a new tighter format.

CEO and Managing Director James Warburton said: “This is a coup for Seven. Adding The Voice to our 2021 program slate is another brick in the wall of our content-led growth strategy of using proven, power formats. The Voice is a television megabrand that will deliver on our promise of more tentpoles, audience growth and consistency across the year. It is a strong performer in BVOD and will give audiences what they want: the world’s best television.”

Director of Programming, Angus Ross said: “The Voice remains the biggest entertainment show in Australia averaging over 1.5 million viewers each week – delivering on broadcast, demographics and streaming. We jumped at the opportunity to bring this juggernaut into Seven’s 2021 schedule. Our plans to supercharge the format are well underway.”

“We’re accustomed to working with some of the best production studios in the country to deliver refreshed formats that have new life breathed into them,” said Angus Ross. “We’ve done it with Big Brother and Farmer Wants a Wife this year – and we couldn’t resist the opportunity to responsibly reimagine the format for The Voice 2021. We’ll deliver an established franchise ramped up for newer and bigger audiences, in a lean production format that speaks to modern viewers.”

The announcement follows Nine CEO Hugh Marks flagging a steep $40m pricetag for the show last week.

David Mott, CEO and Managing Director of ITV Studios Australia said: “This is truly a significant day. It is the beginning of a new era of The Voice in Australia which is still the biggest entertainment brand globally. Seven did not hesitate in securing the rights when this opportunity came up and we cannot wait to get cracking on the series for 2021… and to welcome Sonia back to the biggest entertainment stage on Australian television.”

Updated: Nine is already taking a chance to rain on Seven’s parade with an unnamed network spokesperson saying. “Unfortunately, due to the age of the show and its declining demographic profile, The Voice had become by far the poorest financial performer on our slate.

“We wish Seven well in their quest to revive yet another Nine show. We are very excited about the schedule we have now set for reinvigorating our slate and we will have  announcements at our Upfronts on September 16.  We remain focussed on our audience and the financial performance of Nine.”

112 Comments:

  1. daveinprogress

    not much to say other than wow – and wanting to add to the three figure tally of comments! i don’t think I’ve ever seen a thread with this many comments on here – so happy to add one more! The Voice on Seven – well I never!

  2. Yep, just so broke, got to let you go, thanks for the memories… And now they’re spending millions hoovering up all of Nine’s trash! While you’re at it, do me a favour, Seven, and pick up the rights to the US Bach franchise and actually broadcast the damn thing, thanks.

  3. Wow just logged on to check what I’ve missed for the day, and over 100 comments already.
    A bit of a shock after some comments a few days ago that 9 would be mad to let this go to 7, and then it’s happened.

  4. Wow! In less than 24 hours this article has had 100 posts! I think a lot have been put off of The Voice by Chris winning and his brother being a judge.

  5. thedirtydigger

    Why does Seven increasingly remind me of a frenzied dumpster diver forever going through the cast off rubbish of other Networks looking for something that will heat up and taste OK ?
    Hopefully you won’t get food poisoning with this one .
    Obviously Hugh Marks was well aware of what was happening , as per his ” it’s too expensive at 40 mill ” quote about The Voice in recent days…
    Anyway good luck with this one James, the cost of this production alone is just about your Network’s interest bill for next year…

  6. Can’t imagine how all the recent Seven layoffs feel about this news, given they’ve forked out $40 mill for a show from another network.

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.