Australian Grand Prix, MotoGP cancelled for 2021
Updated: Major motorsports in Victoria have been cancelled this year due to the ongoing pandemic.
The Australian Formula One Grand Prix and the MotoGP at Phillip Island have been cancelled for 2021.
The Victorian government has blamed the decision on the ongoing effects of the COVID-19 pandemic — including a “slower than forecast” rollout of the Commonwealth vaccination program and subsequent caps to international traveller intake.
The Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula said, “This is the reality of the pandemic – but until we get much higher vaccination rates we cannot return to more normal settings.
“We are getting to work on plans for 2022 immediately and can’t wait to welcome the world’s best drivers and riders and all motorsport fans back to Albert Park and Phillip Island.”
Australian Grand Prix Corporation Chairman, Paul Little said, “We’re deeply disappointed that for a second consecutive year, both MotoGP and Formula 1 fans won’t be able to see the world’s best riders and drivers compete at the wonderful Phillip Island and Albert Park Grand Prix Circuits.
“We appreciate the challenge Australia faces with current international travel restrictions and the importance of vaccinations.
“I would like to reassure our motivated and professional staff, suppliers and partners, as well as the Victorian tourism and major events community that we will work tirelessly to deliver these iconic events in 2022.”
Australian Formula 1 McLaren driver, Daniel Ricciardo added, “It’s a huge disappointment for all of the drivers that we won’t be coming down to Australia in November, but we understand the reasons.
“For me personally, I can’t wait to have the chance to race at home again, and it’ll be even sweeter when we do because it’s been so long. Fingers crossed things can change for 2022 and we get to see the awesome fans at Albert Park again and put on a good show for them.”
Seven News is reporting the 2021 Australian Grand Prix will be cancelled.
The race is scheduled to be held in Melbourne in November after being postponed earlier this year due to the pandemic.
Seven reports long negotiations over a quarantine hub for drivers has broken down, with an official announcement expected this afternoon.
Race officials reportedly put a proposal to the Victorian Government asking racing teams to fly in and out of a strict bubble because a two-week hotel quarantine wasn’t feasible as it meant drivers would miss other races overseas.
The Herald Sun is also reporting the Australian MotoGP race, scheduled for October 24, is off too.
10 has the rights to both the Australian Grand Prix and Australian MotoGP which would likely entail a refund or rights extension were they not to proceed.
The Australian Grand Prix was last held in 2019 after the 2020 event was cancelled as the pandemic hit Australia.