ABC’s New Year’s Eve coverage was well received, drawing 1.24m viewers in 5 metro cities. More than half of them -674,000- were in Sydney alone.
That was down on 2017’s 1.49m but up on 2016’s 1.18m.
Another 100,000 viewed on ABC News channel Live in AEDT with 515,000 more viewing in regional markets on ABC & ABC News.
It was Live streamed through iview 90,000 times, well up on 2017.
Acting Head of Entertainment and Specialist Michael Carrington says “We are proud that so many Australians have once again seen in the new year on the ABC, across television, iview and social media. New Year’s Eve showcases Sydney at its best and brightest and we are thrilled to have beamed images of the city’s iconic fireworks across the world. Thank you to the more than 180 ABC staff and crew who worked through the night to bring New Year’s Eve to life for so many millions of people here and overseas.”
ABC won the night with a network share of 27.5%.
Television and iview Audiences
- Last night, ABC was the leading network in the metro markets with a 5 city metro prime-time share of 22.0% (2017 result was 23.2%). The highest share was in Sydney, with a prime-time share of 29.4%.
- ABC TV’s New Year’s Eve: Midnight Fireworks was the #1 program of the night, New Year’s Eve: Countdown to Midnight was ranked #2 and New Year’s Eve: Family Fireworks was ranked #3.
New Year’s Eve: Midnight Fireworks achieved an average audience of 1.9 million across ABC and ABC NEWS (Combined Metro & Regional)
- New Year’s Eve: Countdown to Midnight achieved an average audience of 1.3 million across ABC (Combined Metro & Regional)
- New Year’s Eve: Family Fireworks achieved an average audience of 1.2 million across ABC, ABC NEWS and ABC ME (Combined Metro & Regional)
- ABC’s NYE coverage was live streamed 90,000 times via ABC, ABC ME and ABC NEWS channels on iview last night. The ABC live stream generated 70,000 plays yesterday, (46,000 in 2017) which was the highest result for the channel on iview ever.
Sources: OzTAM & Regional TAM Preliminary Overnight data; OzTAM VPM data, live stream based on: ABC, ABC NEWS and ABC ME channels, highest result ever based on daily results across 2017/18 since measurement commenced.